What they thought vs. what they got: advice for incoming freshmen

• What were your expectations for freshman year?
    • “My expectations for freshman year were basically the same as eighth-grade year. I expected to be busy a lot of the time, but that came with everything I was doing all the time,” says basson player and varsity swimmer, Hannah Bunion. 
  • What makes high school different than middle school?
    •  “High school is different from middle school because of the people, curriculum, and overall atmosphere. In high school, things start to get more serious and stressful. Friendships become stronger and are long-lasting. The curriculum gets more advanced and the atmosphere is less carefree,” said DECA State Competitor and cello player, Diya Kumar. 
  • What would you change about this year if you could go back in time?
    •  “I would prioritize school and study rather than being on my phone and wasting time. At the moment it seems like nothing, but in the long run, it is damaging,” said Blakely Jamison, freshman volleyball player, and Vanguard TV member. 
  • What goals did you set for this year? Which ones did you meet and how did you meet them?
    • “I really just wanted to maintain decent grades, do well in my extracurriculars, and have a semi-decent social life. I met most of my goals by using the time I had doing each of my activities wisely since I knew my time was limited with each thing,” Bunion says. 
    • “I set very high expectations for myself and when I don’t meet them, I get pretty frustrated. This year, I met my goal of maintaining a good GPA and joining a few clubs,” Jamison says. 
  • How did you balance school with your extracurriculars?
    • “I balanced school with my extracurriculars, by managing my time wisely. I made a schedule and wrote down all my assignments, so I could accomplish everything and still have time to practice my extracurriculars,” Kumar said. 
  • How have your electives/interests in school influenced/enriched your daily life and high school experience so far?
    • “Doing volleyball taught me many things to carry from the court and into my daily life like working hard even when I only have 50% to give that day,” Jamison said. 
  • How’d you grow throughout this year?
    • “I met a lot of new people who pushed me to be better and realize that life is a lot more than just school and my extracurricular activities,” Bunion says. 
    • “This year, I’ve learned to make friends that have the same interests and goals as you so that you have the motivation to complete them. I was also taught the importance of actually studying rather than procrastinating,” Jamison said. 
    • “Throughout this year I’ve definitely matured socially and academically. I’ve learned that in order to succeed, I need to put in my best effort. I also learned how to understand other people and myself better, in order to make new friends and take care of myself,” Kumar said. 
  • What’s a piece of advice you’d give to incoming freshmen?
    • “Have fun! Don’t stress about everything because it’s just not worth it. Grades are important but remember, high school is a lot more than just grades, so please don’t make that your entire personality,” Bunion said. 
  • What advice would you give your past self?
    • Some advice I would give my past self is to embrace the ups and downs of freshman year. While it may seem scary and get difficult at times, it’s important to always have fun and balance out your schedule,” Kumar said.