Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Ken Paxton trial

Ken Paxton was elected as the 51st attorney general of Texas in 2014 and then re-elected in 2018 and 2022. 

“Attorney General Paxton leads over 4,000 employees in 38 divisions and 117 offices around Texas. That includes nearly 750 attorneys handling more than 30,000 cases annually,” said Texas Attorney General 

On May 21st of this year, the Senate found Paxton guilty on 16 counts of impeachment, but Paxton thinks otherwise.

“Paxton has pleaded not guilty to the impeachment charge,” said Al Jazeera Staff.

A few years back, Paxton had allegedly illegally helped one of his close colleagues, realtor Nate Paul, in a federal investigation against Paul.

“ [Paxton’s deputies] reported [Paxton] to the FBI, stating [that he] broke the law to help Austin real estate developer Nate Paul fight a separate federal investigation,” said Time Staff.

The eight deputies who reported Paxton were said to either quit or be fired.

“All eight [deputies] were subsequently fired or quit. Four of them sued under the state whistleblower act,” said Time Staff.

Paxton was rumored to have an affair with former state aides Donna Campbell and Laura Olson. Paxton allegedly convinced Paul to hire Olson, granting Paul favorability in the political world.

“[Paxton] received favorable legal assistance from the general attorney’s office,” said the Impeachment Articles.

The trial began on September 5th, 2023,  and ended ten days later. 70% of the Senate voted to acquit him of all 16 counts of impeachment.

“All of this foolishness that they’ve accused this man of is false,” Paxton’s Lawyer, Tony Buzbee said.