A deep dive into the “Save the System” project

LT students envision and plan their ideal high school for FISD in the semester-long “Save the System project” during American Studies classes. 

The project started two years ago with the creation of the American studies class to allow students to create changes to the education system. 

“By allowing kids to do this project, it enables them to get into the nitty-gritty of what makes a school” American Studies teacher Charissa Kellems says.  “It encourages students to collaborate but also to collaborate with adults and reach into the community.” 

However, due to COVID restrictions last year, the project was put on hold. 

”Last year we didn’t get to implement the project because so many kids were virtual, so we kind of learned from our mistakes the first go-around,” Kellems said. 

Students work in groups in planning the entirety of the schools, from the architecture to school policies and systems, and create solutions to various challenges. 

“One of the changes that I want to make with my group is the elimination of memorization-based grading, and instead opting for more project-based learning so that students understand their schoolwork rather than memorizing it all one day and forgetting it,” Junior Soumya Ajjampudi said.

In addition to implementing different changes, students had the opportunity to see other students’ perspectives on district-wide policies. 

“Our school will include career paths in order to help students gain insight into the fields they want to pursue after high school,” Navya Grandhe, junior in American studies, said. “I think this project is a good opportunity to talk to people we don’t normally talk to and understand how other people think.”

The changes and plans are then presented to the FISD board by each group. 

“I hope that district members will be able to take student input and change certain systems that students find problematic and replace them with our suggestions,” Junior Aishani Arungnesh said. “Hopefully by doing this, students in the future will have a better learning experience in high school where they not only learn things that are helpful to them, but also have a less stressful high school overall.” 

American studies students will present their projects at the end of the semester in December.