Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

2024 Golden Globes: A Mess of an Award Show

Historically, the Golden Globes have been one of the most controversial award shows in Hollywood. In 2022 the show was not televised after boycotts from those in a part of the entertainment industry. However, in 2023 they were back on NBC, and then in 2024, the show’s rights were given to Paramount + and CBS. This year the broadcast took place on January 7 and was hosted by comedian Jo Koy.

Koy kicked off the show with his monologue, which fell flat and was painful to watch. Multiple celebrities such as Harrison Ford, Taylor Swift, and Selena Gomez could be seen with unimpressed and uncomfortable reactions. His best joke was also the most unoriginal when he commented on the length of the film “Oppenheimer” which director Christopher Nolan did not find funny. Possibly the worst joke of the night was when he made a sexist comment on the plot of “Barbie which degraded the story being told through the film. When the camera cut to its movie table director, Greta Gerwig looked disappointed and cast members Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie made uncomfortable faces. Koy’s monologue felt much longer than it truly was.

Certain aspects of the show felt way too long, especially the amount of time presenters were given for their bits. The time the presenters spent resisting silly bits should be replaced with added time for winners to reflect on their work in their acceptance speeches.

In addition, there were many instances where I found myself cringing as the various actors presented awards. Take the random pairing of America Ferrera and Kevin Costner for example. Ferrera was trying her best, but Costner could not match her energy which made things feel so awkward. It was as if Costner was being held against his will, forced to read the teleprompter.

Moving onto the actual awards part of the show. The only TV shows to have success were “The Bear”, “Succession”, and “Beef”. One can only wonder if the same will be true for the Emmys.

Meanwhile, in the realm of movies, “Oppenheimer” dominated the major awards of the night winning in major categories including Best Director and Best Picture. Its director Christopher Nolan arguably gave one of the best speeches of the night. In a heartfelt moment, he spoke on how the last time he went up on the Golden Globes stage was to accept an award for the late Heath Ledger.

This was an incredible night for “Killers of the Flower Moon” actress Lily Gladstone in her win for Best Female Actress in a Drama Motion Picture. Gladstone makes history as the first person of Indigenous heritage to win a Golden Globe.

Despite “Barbie” having been one of the most popular movies of 2023 the film only won one award. Their win was in the newly created category “Cinematic and Box Office Achievement” – a category focused on who made the most money.

Overall, the 2024 Golden Globes included more lows than highs. The show wants badly to be the precursor to the Oscars, yet it seems every year, more and more the Golden Globes go down in quality which is obvious to its attendees and viewers.