Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Ken wins while Barbie is not even nominated?!

With the end of 2023 and the start of 2024, actors, musicians, and celebrities alike are now all on the edge of their seats. Big award shows like the Oscars and the Grammys are something every celebrity hopes to win. During the summer of 2023, the biggest movie of the year was released. ‘Barbie’. Starring Margot Robbie as Barbie and Ryan Gosling as Ken, it became one of the century’s biggest hits. With the movie’s success, there was almost a guarantee that the movie would get nominated for an Oscar.

Gosling who won the Best Supporting Actor of 2024 at the Academy Awards was thankful for the award but also disappointed that his colleagues Robbie and Greta Gerwig (the co-writer and director of Barbie) did not get nominated as well.

“To say that I’m disappointed that they are not nominated in their respective categories would be an understatement,” said Gosling. 

It wasn’t only Gosling who was disappointed about the decisions of the Academy Awards. America Ferrera, who played Gloria in the film won Best Supporting Actress by the Academy Awards also responded. 

“Creating this world, and taking something that didn’t have inherent value to most people and making it a global phenomenon. It feels disappointing to not see [Gerwig] on that list.” Ferrera said. 

That is not the only crime committed by awards shows. The “I’m Just Ken” song also won the Best Song at the Critics’ Choice Awards. While the awards announced that the song had won Gosling showed a very confusing, look some even described as horrified on his face.

“Many assumed Gosling thought the award win was a prank’, writing that he looked ‘flabbergasted’ and ‘confused’ by the announcement,” said Jacob Stolworthy, the Chief culture reporter at ‘The Independent’.

Many would not find this as amusing as others did. Many thought that Billie Eilish’s “What Was I Made For” was robbed of the Best Song award. This decision by the Critics Choice Awards and the Academy Awards is another reason for the yearly debate about how these award shows are rigged.