LTHS students volunteer in many ways through Learn to Be

One of the new clubs, Learn to Be, is growing in popularity this year, as it is a nonprofit organization that strives to lessen the gap between the privileged and underprivileged through tutoring.

It all started with an idea from a senior, Nidhi Majoju.

“I think we take our school and the area we live in for granted, Majoju said. “LTHS is a very privileged school that has a lot of helpful educational resources.”

Majoju believes LTHS students can help out.

“I wanted to bring a chapter of LTB to our high school because I felt that we have the power and resources to help underprivileged children in America,” Majoju said.

Lots of students are encouraged to participate in one of the many volunteer activities the club has to offer.

“They can tutor students virtually, hold reading group sessions with multiple students, and teach art to children,” Majoju said. “We have chapter based opportunities.  For example, members can do outreach work and spread the word about Learn To Be and make lesson plans for other tutors to use.”

Anya Kothari, a freshman, joined the club this year. 

“I joined Learn to Be because I thought it would be fun and a good way to gain experience working with others, and I love the aspect of getting to help people too,” Kothari said.

Tutoring school subjects isn’t the only activity these students do. They also do what they’re truly passionate about.

“Another cool thing to do if you don’t want to tutor individually or teach school subjects is music or art, so you can basically teach them that,” Kothari said.

Whether a student is passionate about school subjects or extracurriculars, volunteer opportunities are available for everyone. If you would like to join the Learn to Be club, contact the president, Nidhi Majoju ([email protected]), for more information.