The LTHS Library’s New Additions

The LTHS Librarys New Additions

There have been new additions to the Lebanon Trail library, but they’re not books. FitDesks are exercise machines similar to stationary bikes, but you can sit a laptop on an attached desk. You can bike while you work!

Many Americans today work at desk jobs, sitting in a cubicle all day on the computer. This has caused unhealthy trends in the U.S. population, contributing to many issues, such as obesity. Every year less and less of the population is required to work jobs that require labor. Now, according to BMI based statistics, about two-thirds of Americans are obese. Being unfit can lead to a whole wider range of problems, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even cancer.

Teenagers still aren’t fully developed, and sitting at a desk during school doesn’t allow for the proper exercise they need to grow. It’s unhealthy to be sitting for seven hours a day and then return home just to sit down for homework. In free time videogames and television usually come above sports or exercise. A healthy lifestyle requires 75 minutes to 150 minutes of exercise a day. Not everyone can get that through P.E. or athletics, let alone even take those courses.

The addition of FitDesks to the library is sure to help students let out more of the energy they have to contain during class. Without even recess in high school, FitDesks are our next best thing to being healthy.

Along with FitDesks, there are even more ways to burn calories and maintain good health during class. Elementary schools in Dallas ISD are beginning to put the use of wobble chairs in effect. Wobble chairs, exercise balls, stability balls, and ergoErgo seats can all benefit students. Dallas ISD teachers are already noticing improvement in their students’ attentiveness.

This seating would effectively allow students to sit comfortably and focus more in class, leading to better grades. Healthiness of students is not just an issue, but lack of exercise can change performance in class. Whether a student has ADHD, motor tics, or simply just a lot of energy, alternate seating can help. Sitting on a wobble chairs, exercise balls, or the like can improve core strength and posture — and it helps release some of that stored up energy. It’s not only comfortable, but to balance on this type of seating does require a bit of a workout. It’s such a discreet way to work your body that you don’t even notice it.

FitDesks can certainly help Lebanon Trail students live healthier at school. FitDesks are available for use during the day at any time the library is open.