Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Mary Poppins: The Musical

Mary Poppins: The Musical

On the night of Jan. 25, 2024, the peculiar and cheery nanny Mary Poppins swept through the school’s auditorium with many songs, props, and interesting characters. This exciting new rendition of the 1964 film brings back a sense of nostalgia, all while incorporating new elements and characteristics that weren’t present before.

The preparation leading up to the performances took months, starting with auditions during October, and taking all the way through to opening night. There were many sets in place, with one being wheeled on and off stage for the corresponding scenes. The costumes cost over $15,000, and there was even more money spent on the building of the sets. 

The duration of the performance was approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes, including a 15 minute intermission. The show kept a very steady pace, building up to each event, and flowing smoothly from one scene to the next. 

The story follows the adventures of the Banks family, and their new, peculiar nanny, Mary Poppins. Through dance and song, the family encounters many people, and experiences things they never thought possible.

However, Mary Poppins is driven away, leaving the Banks’ siblings to the wrath of Mrs. Andrews, another nanny who treats the children with cruelty and disciplines them with fear. In a desperate attempt to mend their mistakes, Mary Poppins comes back and drives the evil nanny Mrs. Andrews away, continuing to care for the children. 

Eventually, the Banks family is more united than they had ever been, and Mary Poppins leaves them for the last time, having done her job of helping the family that needed her, and moving on to the next. 

Although the performance’s duration is longer than many would expect, staying until the end and seeing all the events unfurl and the characters develop makes it worth it to see.