Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Cupid’s Arrow at The Trail

How Trailblazers feel about Valentine’s Day!
Sophia Drum

Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love and happiness. Couples walk around the halls lovingly, hands entwined. Our traditional green and gold seem to be replaced by red and pink everywhere. You can see teddy bears, chocolate, and roses when you look around. There is a buzzing feeling circulating throughout the building, whether it’s butterflies or bitterness. Regardless of the source of these big feelings, I can assure you that you’re not alone on that special day of February 14. 

Recently, studies have shown that teenagers aren’t finding the holiday appealing. Some claim it’s a made-up holiday to justify excessive spending on cute things. Some say it’s due to the overwhelming presence of lovey-dovey-ness all around them from stores to school, to even explore pages on social media. Others absolutely adore the holiday named after the Roman saint, Valentine.

“I think it’s just a day to show your love,” junior Gabrielle Oshiokpekhai said. “Like everyone knows you’re in a relationship with someone, but Valentine’s Day is where you just express it more in public.”

Senior Atrin Saber elaborated on the themes of the day.

“I think the purpose of Valentine’s Day is to show that you really care about someone whether it be romantic or friendship,” Saber said.

A good portion of students feel that the holiday can be overrated. It can stem from the feeling that if you’re single, all types of relationships are being rubbed in your face. To others, the day is just another way to contribute to overconsumption.

“It’s a commercial holiday, they just want to sell more chocolates on that day,” senior Fathima Farha said.

Although the holiday may not appeal to all, there are some themes of Valentine’s Day that are enjoyable.

“I think some aspects of it can be overrated, but I also think that it’s such a cute holiday, and such a simple small holiday that we make such a big deal out of,” Saber said. “It’s cute.”

When you push aside everything you feel about the day, anyone can admire the beauty of it: the love language of gift-giving, or complete appreciation of those around you. 

“I have received Valentine’s Day gifts,” Saber said. “And for the most part, it was really nice to spend money on someone and spend time with someone on Valentine’s Day. It makes both people happy to receive gifts.”

When interviewed, all three students mentioned that they prefer to keep Valentine’s Day more relaxed. There wasn’t a need to go all out for someone they care about. The common agreeance among them was that gifts aren’t the most important thing.

“I think spending time together [is more important] because time is more valuable,” Farha said.

In desperation to find a Valentine, many change how they act right around the middle of January. There is a lot of pressure among teens to have someone to show off. Students are talking more and talking to new people. And though it could be because of the start of the spring semester, ergo new classmates to chat with, there are a select few that are grasping at strings to find a last-minute love.

“Most people want to get gifts or they all start acting or changing their personalities so they can get someone to be with on Valentine’s Day,” Oshiokpekhai said. “[It] doesn’t make any sense because being alone is fine.”

Saber mentioned how there should not be pressure for people to become a new version of themselves for the holiday.

“You want to have a Valentine,” Saber said. “And you want to have someone, but at the same time I don’t think girls should feel pressured to change themselves for a Valentine.”

Time Magazine claims that teenagers are the most miserable group of people during Valentine’s Day. This could be due to relationship disappointment, or other factors. If you are running solo this year, and think that something must be wrong if you don’t have a Valentine, that is completely normal. We are still young and we shouldn’t be hassled to find an adolescent relationship that will most likely last three weeks. 

“I would agree with that,” Farha said, “They are just delusional, everywhere.”

Saber provided some advice for the holiday itself.

“If you look at our school on Valentines Day, you will see people’s faces and how they feel,” Saber said. “Sometimes you have all these expectations of someone and they do not meet your expectations at all, so beware of that.”

It doesn’t have to be miserable though. There are many ways to celebrate Valentines, and people to do it with. Friends and family are the perfect Valentines. These are the people that show you love every day, so why not appreciate them as well?

“I received one from my aunt, she gave me flowers,” Oshiokpekhai said. “It made me feel special and happy. Honestly, if it’s from my family, I feel no pressure. It can definitely be celebrated with your friends; you guys show love, give each other gifts, you know. It’s cute, it’s a nice holiday.”

Additionally, it is a holiday that is all-inclusive.

“It can be celebrated with anyone you want, it’s a holiday,” Saber said. “Most holidays, you can celebrate with anyone.”

Overall, there is a mixture of opinions when it comes to how teenagers feel about Valentine’s Day. The main thing to remember is that it’s a celebration of love. You can celebrate at school by sending candy grams that the student council is selling, or exchanging gifts with friends. The most acceptable way to celebrate though, is to celebrate yourself. Treat yourself to a box of assorted chocolates, some flowers, or maybe a new outfit. You were there to love yourself before anyone else could. Why not take the day of love to appreciate the most important person in your life – you.