Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

The W App

The W App

The overused word “tea” has taken a huge role in today’s student’s lives. Stirring the pot, rumors and gossip is all something one has done, although technology has allowed people to reach others without physically approaching them. The W App is an app to play anonymous polls on other people. 

It is known to be a safe, positive environment to many out there, but it could still be invading the privacy of students. Camila Suarez, a junior at LTHS, provided her opinion on the relevance of the W app today.

¨If they do use the app, they’re probably just completely oblivious of the fact that all the responses are automated because there is no way that 24 people sent you a compliment during a span of an hour,” Suarez said. 

If the responses are automated, students at Lebanon Trail can be emotionally affected by a robot. So is it safe? Could private data be revealed where it shouldn’t? The eSafety commissioner website elaborates on what information it holds. 

“When you sign up, you are asked for your full name and age and prompted to find your school by sharing your location, phone number and contacts list,” The eSafety commissioner website said. “The sign-up process does not guarantee that adults will be prevented from joining and it involves sharing personal information with Slay GmbH, the creators of the app.”

Knowing that it holds the most important information, is it worth it? Knowing most social media apps are enjoyable, is The W app really serving its purpose? 

Here is the description of the W app on the App Store Preview.

Get ready to dive into the world of W App – the coolest place to engage in anonymous polls within your school community,” the App Store Preview said. “The Unleash your curiosity and find out who likes you, all while enjoying a 100% negativity-free atmosphere!”

Comparing what the App Store Preview says to a real student’s claims about the app who is a victim to many messages, there is a visible and concerning difference in perspective.

It reminds me of a lot of apps that people used in middle school to speak to their crushes,” Suarez said. “I just don’t think it has a purpose and it’s automated, not even real people giving real opinions about each other. That’s just fake and gets people to use the app.”