Breaking News
  • Prom and UIL District Competitions are on April 6
  • Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year!
Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Lebanon Trail High School News

The Vanguard

Homecoming Mums: A Texas Tradition

Alyssa Mello
Alyssa Mello and Chloe Glanville pose at the Homecoming game during the 2022-2023 school year.

Feathers are everywhere, and a jingling can be heard in the halls. It’s Homecoming season in Texas, and almost every girl is adorned with a massive creation of ribbons, flowers, bells, and lights. These are mums, and Southerners go crazy over them.

Here’s a quick summary of everything you need to know about this adored Texas tradition. Beginning in the 1950s, Homecoming mums were given as a token of affection from a boy to his Homecoming date. Modeled after the chrysanthemum flower, hence the name, a date would decorate a flower with ribbons to be presented as a corsage. Traditionally, the girl would design and purchase the garter, which is the male counterpart of a mum, and the boy would purchase and design the girl’s mum. Both are to be exchanged with one another before Homecoming.

“Mums are important to me because it’s meaningful to receive something else from your date,” Senior Atrin Saber said. “It’s something that your date makes, or they’re supposed to make with their parents, and I think that’s a really nice tradition to make something for your partner to give it to them.”

Over the years, particularly starting in the 1970s, mums have become more elaborate. They have gotten bigger, heavier, and louder. Many students buy a mum for every year of high school, adorning it with charms of what activities they’re in, their graduation year, and much more.

“I heard about mums my freshman year,” Varsity Cheerleader Abby Castro said. “and at the time I was doing cheer and I thought that the idea of it was really exciting.”

Though some students don’t see the appeal of mums, this Texas tradition still makes an impact. Students can still appreciate the creativity in the elaborate garments, even if they don’t care too much about them.

“I don’t really hate it or like it, but I just think they’re big and cute.” Varsity Cheerleader CJ Nze said.

Texas teens take school spirit extremely seriously, particularly during Homecoming. It makes the experience of high school more fun, especially with spirit week leading up to the big game, pep rally, and dance.

“When I found out it was a Texas thing I was amazed,” Castro said. “The excitement of mums and the decorations were really pretty. I felt like it seemed like a very big cultural thing here. And that the idea of going to the mum shop and ordering it just seemed fun. I think it looks like a great way to spread school spirit and show off cool little ribbons.”

Though mums can definitely be over-the-top, many students will purchase one for the memories. Some believe you should have a mum to know how it feels to be a part of this tradition at least once in your life. For seniors, this is their last chance to walk the halls among other mums.

“I think that if you live in Texas you kind of have to respect the culture,” Castro said.

“I felt great and I had a really fun time with it,” Saber said.

Lebanon Trail is partnered with The Mum Shop located in Plano, and the last day to order is September 15th. You can shop at www.themumshop.com and choose Lebanon Trail High School to order. Students can also make their own mums, just in time to wear them to school and the game on September 22nd. Mums that were ordered can picked up at the shop, or have them delivered to the school for free just in time for Homecoming!