Applying the Acapella Moment

On January 11, Choir and Music Theory classes at LTHS embarked on a field trip to Centennial High School to watch Louisiana State University’s Acapella choir perform. Through a variety of songs performed, and more information regarding LSU’s choir and music programs for music majors and non-music majors alike, students were able to be immersed in a distinct, musical experience. 

Sophomore Estabraq Al Mijbilee explained the benefits of field trips such as this one and described how they create an interactive encounter with choir performances which suited many diverse styles of learning.

“It provides a better scope for learning, opens room for a more hands-on experience and fulfills needs of different people’s learning styles,” Al Mijbilee said. 

Melia Puga, a senior, described how field trips such as this one encourage musical learning for specific areas such as choir, as well as other types of music including musical composition or performance. 

“Yes, I do think trips like this are important,” Puga said. “Trips like these peak students’ interests in other areas of music.”

Additionally, Puga pointed out what she liked most about the performance and how she witnessed the level of experience and talent in seeing a collegiate level choir perform. 

“My favorite part of the LSU Acapella Performance was how intricate and well executed the harmonies were,” Puga said. 

Al Mijbilee detailed how the field trip provided clarity on difficult theoretical ideas and an insightful view on the everyday workings in the music industry.  

“This provides me with more insight on how a cappella works, and how harmonizing works,” Al Mijbilee said. “It seemed to clear more hard-to-grasp ideas and provided me with a memorable time.”

Nathan Pszyk, a sophomore, detailed how the field trip made the studying music much more appealing and relatable to students. 

“It’s one thing to study music theory in a classroom and hear people talk about it, but it’s different to hear the music,” Pszyk said. “It makes it applicable to the study of music.”

Pszyk described the convenience and joy of the field trip, emphasizing how these opportunities are rare and it is crucial to seize the chance to go to a musical event. 

“Yes, definitely because not a lot of people get a chance to see music that often, it was free and during school and didn’t interfere with my schedule,” Psyzk said. “ If you get the opportunity to see music for free, I think you should take the opportunity.”