Students gear up for success as AP exams approach

As the school year comes to a close, AP exams are quickly approaching, starting on May 2 and ending on May 13. These exams can be a source of stress for many students as they have to relearn a year’s worth of content to be able to perform well. 

The 2021 AP exam season was drastically different from the exam administrations of previous years due to the pandemic causing many students to learn virtually. Some exams were taken in person and others were taken online. This year, however, all exams will be taken in person on campus. 

In preparation for these in-person exams, students face pressure to study consecutively for multiple AP subjects, often leading to test anxiety and increased amounts of stress.

“The stress is definitely getting more intense as AP exams are one to two weeks away at this point in time,” junior Soumya Ajjampudi said.  “It can be overwhelming managing both AP studying and separate class assignments, but I think by managing your time and making sure you’re taking appropriate breaks you can make sure you’re giving your best shot when the AP test comes around.”

Having multiple AP exams within close proximity of each other can also make studying effectively difficult. 

“The hardest part for me is juggling the studying process for multiple AP exams and preparing efficiently for each exam, especially if they fall closer to each other,” junior Advaita Puri said. 

In addition to preparing for AP exams, students often have to juggle the load of classwork they have to complete which can be especially stressful at the end of the year. 

“It’s one thing to be able to fit everything into your schedule and accommodate for APs, but it’s another thing to stay optimistic about it,” Ajjampudi said. 

Students also have various techniques when it comes to studying for these exams, and they can differ based on the course. 

“I’m trying to get myself to review content if it’s more of a content-based course and I’m doing practice problems if it is more of an application-based course,” Ajjampudi said. “ I feel like my method of preparation is different for each class and I don’t think there’s some sort of secret study method that works for everyone and every class. That’s something you have to build and figure out for yourself so you can study the best way that works for you.”

As stressful as these tests may be, they signify the end of the school year and a well-deserved break that students can look forward to!