How does fashion define identity?

Credit: Ethan Wu

Many consider identity to be something sacred, and the ability to showcase identity takes courage. At LTHS, many diverse groups of students express themselves through one outlet: fashion. Freshman Ashley-Hernandez Godoy demonstrated her go-to style. 

“I try to go basic and simple, but not too basic,” Hernandez said. “I try to add some spice to the things I wear. I feel comfy and I feel like I can be myself without getting judged. Right now, I got my Air Force Ones, my white socks, leggings, and a graphic tee.” 

Many elective teachers teach courses that correlate with fashion, and one of them is Michelle Fiszer who teaches Fashion Design. The class teaches students about the design and production of clothing and what makes it fashionable. 

“So, if you think about it, fashion is all-encompassing,” Fiszer said. “It’s not just the clothing you wear, it’s your shoes, your jewelry, how you style your hair, and your makeup. It is the ultimate way of expressing one’s inner personality.” 

Though fashion exists everywhere, not everyone knows what it entails. What is fashion from an industrial perspective? Fashion Marketing teacher, Emily Henvey explained what her class teaches students about fashion and marketing. 

“In Fashion Marketing, we learn about how fashion defines you,” Henvey said. “Fashion Marketing also consists of how companies promote their products, how companies develop their products, and how companies get those products.” 

Not a lot of students have a unique type of fashion. People usually wear casual types of clothing, like blue jeans and a comfortable t-shirt. However, junior Ethan Wu, is an exception. 

“My go-to attire and style are along the formal, casual line with monochromatic colors,” Wu said. “It gives me a sense of mystery apparently, and that’s what I aim for with my fashion.” 

Environmental issues are an addition to the fast fashion that is present in the fashion industry today. Journalism teacher Lacey Gilmore expressed her concerns with the lack of sustainable fashion and how her identity has been affected by it. 

“I can buy something used and it expresses something that I see in myself, which is that I want to be kinder to our environment,” Gilmore explained. “For me, fashion shows through these things because I want my kids to have a better future than the one I’m going to have.”