The Eight Nights of Celebration

The light rapidly fills up the darkness as the single candle is withholding a vibrant fire. This is the signal to the beginning of the celebration for Hanukkah. Hanukkah began on Dec. 1st and ended in seven days.

“Hanukkah is basically the festival of light, it goes on for eight days and its meant to be commemorating for when jews recovered a temple in Jerusalem,” Sophomore Jake Edelman said. “it’s also a time where most of us gather together with family at home or in synagogues” 

Hanukkah can vary from November to December at any time. The start of Hanukkah is informed through the Gregorian calendar. 

“Hannukah is celebrated for eight days because in the past, when the Jews were forced into a dark temple, they only had a small amount of oil for their lantern,” Sophomore Or Natan said. “Then a miracle happened with the fire, it burned for 8 straight days”

When the Maccabees, the ancestors of Jews, reclaimed their temple after a fight, they had very limited oil, which they used to light a candle in order to read the Torah. It impressively lasted for longer than a week.

“Celebrating Hanukkah is like celebrating Christmas, but longer,” Freshman Eitan Goldberg said. “We don’t get presents every day like Christmas usually does. On certain days we get to give back to people by making gifts for homeless shelters.”

Goldberg celebrates Hanukkah with a unique tradition. The first four days are involved with giving to others, while the rest of the other four are based on receiving from others.

“How I enjoy Hanukkah, for the most part, is hanging out with my family and playing games,” Sophomore AJ Alex said. “but what I really like is to light the candles because you can see the fire burn slowly and if you light it correctly, it kinda slants. 

Each candle from the menorah is lit for every day that passes. The eight days are usually celebrated with religious rituals such as reading and singing.

“I enjoy Hannukah by spending time with my family, as they move around often, but for the eight days, everyone comes together to celebrate Hannukah,” Junior Josh Ahlpert said. “Instead of enjoying other popular options in Hannukah, I prefer the quality time I get to spend with others”