Best Buddies hosts annual Trunk or Treat to spread joy to the community

On Thursday Oct 27, Lebanon Trail had its annual trunk or treat event hosted by the Best Buddies club. There were many fun games and activities for everyone to enjoy. 

The motive of trunk or treat was to create a safe environment for people to come together and celebrate halloween. The members of the Best Buddies club actively work together to prepare for the event. 

“First we have to figure out a time and date,” said Camila Salinas, president of the best buddies club. “After that we just have to get clubs to sign up, so we reach out to a bunch of clubs and see if they’re available to come participate, and then the day of trunk or treat we set up all the tables. And the clubs come in and decorate their tables and trunks.”

Getting participants to sign up and advertising the open event to the community were both the most important and most difficult tasks set before the best buddies members.

“It was a little difficult to get the clubs to sign up because we had to get all their emails and everything and also just kind of like promoting to the community around us because it’s not just for LT it’s also for all the other schools or anybody who wants to come along.” 

The other clubs participating also worked hard to make their games and themes fun and entertaining for the community. 

“Each club is responsible for their own candy and their own decorations they want to have but we [the best buddies club] provide the tables.” said Salinas “So, we have the clubs come and decorate their trunks and their tables set up before the whole event starts.” 

The work they put into the event this year paid off and the people that attended had a good time. Lacey Gilmore, the yearbook adviser, said this year’s event was much better than last year’s.

“I sent photographers to photograph last year and it was so windy that we could barely make out the people in the pictures because their hair was flying in their faces.” said Gilmore “I am really looking forward to seeing how the pictures turn out this year.” 

Similarly, the freshmen who were new to being a part of organizing Trunk or Treat said they loved being there and that it was really fun. 

“I think as a freshman its a unique experience cause you don’t usually do these things [like trunk or treat],” freshman, Tanvi Maddi said, “and since it’s the first time coming into high school it was really welcoming and kind of like a community building activity because everyone was there cheering everyone on and complementing each other on their costumes, and you really saw people’s creativity in the community too, because they’re making these amazing costumes.” 

Students interested in joining Best Buddies to participate in events like these should contact Camila Salinas at [email protected]