LTHS Teacher of the Year 2021-22

LTHS celebrates John Davenport, the school’s Teacher of the Year for the 2021-2022 academic year. Davenport teaches and manages the school’s Tech Theatre class, which encompasses everything that goes into making a staged production. 

Davenport became passionate about his career in the education field after working with a group of students on a theatre project. He said he wanted to be the teacher that he didn’t have growing up and since then he continued to thrive towards this goal. 

“I love building lifelong relationships with students. You get to meet kids when they are in a developing stage of their lives and get to watch them grow into young adults and see how much they change,” Davenport said. “It is truly rewarding to feel like you were a part of that process, and students teach me just as much as I learn from them. They keep you young.”

Davenport knew he was in the running for the award, but said he was surprised when he found he won. 

“It was great to be in the running for it, but I truly didn’t expect it,” Davenport said. “Once the shock wore off, it became one of those moments where you just feel very grateful to be recognized for your work, especially after the last two years have been so rough on everyone.”

Brianna Willingham, a student of Davenport’s, shares her enthusiasm for his class, and the lessons she has learned from him. 

“My favorite part about Tech Theatre is being able to get things done that each team knows needs to get done,” Willingham said. “Academically I have learned that there is always some way to grow in your field, opportunities don’t ever just stop coming, and personally I have learned not to take life too seriously, life is life and whatever happens happens for a reason.”

Mason Mizell, another student of Davenport’s, talks about Tech Theatre and the influence Davenport has on him. 

My favorite part about the class is that I don’t really consider it a class; it’s really a place to hang out with people I enjoy being with and doing things I enjoy doing,” Mizell said. “Davenport has been a massive impact on who I am today and the things I want to do when I get older.”

Davenport hopes to have a positive impact on his students and aims to teach them things that can be applied outside of the classroom. 

“I just want my students to look back and think of me when they do anything that I taught them how to do,” Davenport said. “And maybe it causes them to reach out and connect.  Life is a series of events and connections, and it is important to remember the people in your life that help you grow and learn. And if one of them wins an Oscar, Emmy, Tony, or Grammy one day, I better hear my name in the acceptance speech.”