Freshman Golfer Claims Victories on the Green

Back straight as a board, knees bent slightly, with a powerful shot lined down the green. A loud thwack echoes across the green, and the ball soars across the field. Freshman golfer Karthik Ponnathota swings again. He saves the competition. 

LTHS golf has taken off over the last three years, claiming district champions more than three years in a row and coming back to claim the UIL region championship in 2021. Ponnathota has now firmly etched himself into the team’s backbone. 

“I get in my golf mindset by focusing on something else, removing myself from the moment,” Ponnathota said.

Soaring to new heights, Ponnathota got six pars earlier this year in an 18-year-old tournament, a rare feat, claiming it to be his favorite moment of this year.

“Well, I was very proud when I got six pars in an 18-year-old tournament,” he said.

As he paves his way, Ponnathota is led by LT’s golf coach, Coach Carmichael, who’s been coaching golf for over 11 years, with more than 30 combined years in coaching sports.

“I want my players to be first and foremost good students. A very small percent will ever play college or professional golf or even have a career in the golf field, so their education is first and foremost to me,” Carmichael said.

Ponnathota takes this advice well. He makes sure his grades stay up, especially in his schedule loaded with advanced and AP classes.

Whether on or off the field, Karthik Ponnathota puts his best effort forth 24 hours a day. He aims high and puts his shots as far as possible, no matter the pressure he is under despite only being a freshman.