Lebanon Trail’s ISM Students Step Into Their Future

LTHS juniors and seniors gain real-life career experiences and explore options during business symposium at Emerson High School while interacting with real-world professionals in the fields of medicine, entrepreneurship, engineering, and more. 

The symposium was set up to provide students with an array of skills and opportunities that would help them throughout their year in ISM.

“My goal for students is to network with professionals and ISM students on different campuses, to develop confidence, and to gain a clear understanding of how professionals conduct themselves,” ISM teacher Evan Speice said. 

Thinking critically to identify solutions to challenges without the assistance of a teacher and gain a solid understanding of the importance of professional communication is what ISM students should aim to do. The upperclassmen shared their enthusiasm to be part of the program and to participate in the business symposium.     

“It’s pretty exciting to see someone reach the goals that I’ve currently set for myself,” junior Soumya Ajjampudi, studying Obstetrics and Gynecology, said. “I hope to meet other students with similar goals that are as driven and eager to learn about what they are interested in no matter what topic their in.”

On Oct. 7, the ISM students of LTHS gathered at Emerson High School’s new auditorium to listen to a commencement speech.

“It was really inspiring to hear the doctor talk about how he overcame his obstacles by keeping his goals in mind,” junior Aaryaa Moharir, junior studying cybersecurity, said. “The speech was motivating and reminded us why we were there.”

Students continued and met with multiple panels of professionals who gave them insight into how they got to their positions and answered the questions students had.

“It was eye-opening to see how real professionals interacted with the students and the information they gave us,” junior Akshitha Venkataraman, studying UX design, said.  

Students also got to build connections and introduce themselves to ISM students throughout the district. 

“I got to know new people and we bonded over similar experiences in our ISM classes,”  junior Vasudha Thittai, studying Political Science, said. “I was able to make many connections with students all over the district.”

Independent Study and Mentorship (ISM) is a Frisco ISD offered course that allows students to explore and ignite their passion in a chosen field of study, and is designed for high-achieving juniors and seniors. Students interested in taking ISM must complete the application and interview process to be considered for the course and if selected, students conduct research and interviews throughout the year on their chosen topic of study in order to select a mentor and experience in the field of their choice.