The Vanguard

Spooktober Season is Finally Here

Jasmin Khan, Vanguard TV Reporter

Halloween is right around the corner and LT students are “dying” to celebrate this year Halloween.

So as a person who enjoys this time of the year, Halloween has to be the one of the best holiday to be honest. Staying up all night and watching scary movies.

This year, many students are dressing up as memes, old vines, and many other costume ideas.

“So for halloween I will be dressing up as a meme from spongebob,” said one Freshmen student.

“For Halloween my plans are to attend a haunted house and hang out with a few of my friends,” said one Junior.

From the spooky treats, pranks, and movies. Halloween has been a big thing here. With non-stop halloween event to attend, like haunted houses, corn mazes, costume parties, and much more.

The ancient origins of Halloween dates back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1.

That day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death.

They believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred.

On the night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth.

After all that history talk, my tiny stomach is getting hungry for the treats and candies that are passed out on Halloween.

Candy sales during the Halloween season are expected to rise to $9 billion this year.

Celebrants are planning to spend an average of $86.79, up from last year’s $86.13.

The top sales in the candies that are passed out during Halloween are; Reese’s with sales of $509.85 million, M&M’s with sales of $500.82 million, Hershey’s with sales of $324.63 million, and Kit Kat with sales of $306.51 million.

So for Halloween the best candy has to be skittles and starburst. However, everyone has their own opinion and taste in candies.  

“To be honest, I think the best candy for halloween is Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Snickers,” said one Sophomore Teacher.

“My least favorite candy for Halloween has to be any flavored licorice,” said one Sophomore.

So enter this Spooktober with a splash of spirit. Have a safe and fun Halloween Trailblazers!